Doctors bill for their services using a coding system called Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD 10). Everything in the medical industry is represented by one of these codes. Procedures, exams, diagnostic studies, office visits, etc are all represented by a CPT code and an ICD 10 code.
What is a CPT Code
A CPT code is a 5 digit number code that describes every procedure or medical service that exists. CPT codes are defined and maintained by the American Medical Association. One of the main uses of these codes are for billing. Whenever a doctor performs a service or procedure, she or he chooses the most appropriate CPT codes. The medical industry calls this “coding”. Sometimes it can be difficult as there are many different codes that can be used for a procedure. Actually, many people make a living on determining the optimal code to bill for a procedure in just a specific medical specialty. A medical biller then submits these codes to an insurance company to get reimbursed for the services.
What is an ICD 10 Code
An ICD 10 code is a 7 digit diagnosis code system. It is an international classification system of diseases published by the World Health Organization. Any kind of medical condition is identified by this system. Each character means something. For example, the first character is the area of study – medical or surgical. The fourth character is the body part or region.
CPT Codes for Vein Treatments
Here are some of the most commonly used CPT codes for vein related treatments.
- 36471 – sclerotherapy for spider veins
- 36475 – radiofrequency ablation first vein treated
- 36476 – radiofrequency ablation subsequent veins treated
- 36478 – endovenous laser ablation first vein treated
- 36479 – endovenous laser ablation subsequent veins treated
- 36482 – Venaseal vein closure
- 36483 – Venaseal vein closure subsequent veins treated
- 37765 – stab phlebectomy
- 93970 – ultrasound of both legs
- 93971 – ultrasound of one leg
ICD 10 Codes for Vein Related Diagnosis
There are so many possible ICD 10 codes for vein related diagnosis, they are too many to list here. For example there are roughly 30 ICD 10 codes for just varicose veins.
- I83.811 – Varicose veins of right lower extremity with pain
- I83.812 – Varicose veins of right lower extremity with pain
- I83.813 – Varicose veins of bilateral lower extremities with pain